Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rx for Ungratefulness

Hot Cripple: An Incurable Smart-ass Takes on the Health Care System and Lives to Tell the Tale
Hogan Gorman
Memoir/Health

This book made me grateful I have health insurance, crappy as it may be. It made me grateful I’m healthy. But most of all, it made me want to storm Washington D.C. and demand they give everyone health insurance so no one has to go through the nightmare Ms. Gorman did.

Hot Cripple is the story of Hogan, a wanna-be actress who works as a cocktail waitress in NYC. Because of her unstable jobs, she has no health insurance. No problem, she works out a lot and is really healthy. Then she’s walking to work one day and gets hit by a car. Her head, back, and knee are all messed up. She’s in agony and since she has no insurance, she gets very little help. Ms. Gorman documents her adventures with lawyers, doctors, Social Security workers, not to mention the humbling experience of going on food stamps and Medicaid. Her story is so depressing and really makes you question our country’s terrible healthcare system. But it’s also fascinating (I finished it in one day).

I would recommend Hot Cripple to anyone living in the US because it sheds a big fat light on one of the biggest problems with our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment