Friday, June 1, 2012

Put a Ring On It

I Suck at Girls
Justin Halpern
Memoir

Why is it that bad reviews are so much easier to write than good reviews? Most likely because I’m all fired up when I’m writing a bad review and can think of lots of nitpicks. Unfortunately, when I read a good book, all I can think is how great and funny it is and I just want to gush and tell people to go read it themselves.

In case you couldn’t tell, I Suck at Girls is one of these kinds of books. Never mind the cringe-inducing title (Oh, Justin, grammar is your friend). This book is hilarious. Pretty much on par with You’re Not Doing It Right by Michael Ian Black. It’s also a quick read (I read it in a day).

I Suck at Girls is about a lad named Justin Halpern, whom you perhaps may have heard of. He wrote Shit My Dad Says, which went on to become a failed sitcom, but the book soared on the bestseller list for awhile (Back when I used to work at a bookstore, people would come in and ask for it every day. This was quite amusing because almost no one wanted to say the s-word so it took me a bit to figure out what they meant). Anyway, Justin’s dad figures heavily into this book, too, but the main topic is how badly Justin does with girls. I found his utter haplessness and desperation for a nice girlfriend endearing. He’s a good guy and after several depressing relationships, he finally finds someone who is worthy of his love. In the meantime, his many confusing interactions with his friends, family, and women provide plenty of laughs.

This book is awesome and anyone who likes humor and relationship books will love it. Hell, anyone will love it, period. Unless they don't like cursing. This book is full of cursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment