Monday, June 25, 2012

Pass

In the past week, I've started to read four books and put them down when I realized I had no interest in finishing them. I thought I'd share with you what they are and why I moved on to other titles.



Contents May Have Shifted
Pam Houston
Fiction

I knew going into this one that it was a series of short stories put together as a novel, but I decided I would try anyway (I am not a fan of short stories and avoid them like the plague). After three chapters with the character being in a different part of the world and with different people each time, I realized I couldn't do it.


Perla
Carolina De Robertis
Fiction

I wanted to like this one. The plot was good, I was invested in the main character. But. The author switched back and forth from first person Perla to third person strange man. Also, in the man's POV, quote marks were not used around dialogue, which drives me effing insane! Makes it so hard for me to read. Also, too many long paragraphs. Way too many.


Johnson's Life of London
Boris Johnson
History

I have no idea why I keep getting all these London books all of a sudden. But this one sounded pretty interesting. Sadly, I had to put it down when I realized my eyes were glazing over. It's dense and dull. Maybe I should've just flipped to the end and read the more modern chapters (the book is chronological).


I Am Forbidden
Anouk Markovitas
Fiction

This one has been getting a lot of buzz, but when I picked it up and started reading, I actually heaved a sigh. Too much downer drama. I could tell this book would not have a happy ending, or probably even a happy middle. I mean, you can pretty much tell just by looking at the cover. Maybe I'll be in the mood for this one day. Probably not, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment