Monday, June 18, 2012

Living the Life

Between You and Me
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Fiction

I did not like this book. At all. The only reason I finished it was because by the time I realized I wasn’t into it, I was already half-way through and I figured I might as well keep going until the bitter end (and because I was too lazy to go upstairs and pluck my next book from my stack).

Between You and Me is about Logan and her cousin Kelsey. Logan lives in NYC, has a crappy job, and thinks about her famous popstar cousin a lot. They haven’t spoken in years due to a rift between the whole family. Then out of the blue, Kelsey’s assistant calls Logan and says Kelsey wants her to come to LA and visit. Logan does and a series of events occur that lead to her becoming Kelsey’s new assistant. She gets to travel around the world and keep Kelsey on schedule. But then Kelsey starts to self-destruct and Logan has to pick up the pieces.

I’m still trying to figure out why I didn’t enjoy this book. The writing was good, if a little too jam-packed at times (but this is generally how McLaughlin/Kraus books are). The characters didn’t draw me in. And Logan’s love interest? Was boring. In fact, all the romances were boring. Also, it’s probably just me, but I find I cannot really get into books about celebrity life. I like to read about regular people because I can relate to them. There were several things that happened in the book that I just went, WTF? I won’t say what they are as to spoil plot points for anyone, but you’ll know them when you read them.

If you enjoy lots of pop culture references and reading about living the glamorous life, this book is for you. Otherwise, I’d skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment