Sunday, June 17, 2012

Girl Meets Girl Meets Boy Meets Girl Again

A Theory of Small Earthquakes
Meredith Maran
Fiction

I don’t quite know what to think about this book. I would think it was going in one direction and then it would turn and go the other way. Then it would turn again. But by the end I was mostly fed up with it.

A Theory of Small Earthquakes is the story of Alison. She’s lost both her parents and feels even more lost when she gets to college. Until Zoe swoops in and takes her under her wing. They become friends and then lovers. After college, they move to Berkeley. They decide to have a baby. Only the attempts at IVF don’t work and Alison feels like her relationship with Zoe isn’t clicking anymore. So she has a one-night stand with her male boss. Then tells Zoe and they break up. Then she finds out she’s pregnant and isn’t sure if it’s the boss’s baby or the one conceived through IVF with Zoe. Then it gets even more complicated after the baby is born and she decides she wants Zoe back in her life.

I did not like Alison. It’s always a bad sign when you don’t like the main character. She was such a sad sack. Yes, I get how screwed up her childhood was, but she was just so mopey and down all the time. I actually started to hate her when she slept with her boss whom she had just met and while she was still with Zoe! I mean, what the hell? Her relationship with Mark (the boss) was probably the weirdest part of the book for me. And the ending…well, let’s just say it’s a mess. This book gave me whiplash. I didn’t know what to think or who to root for.

I wouldn’t recommend A Theory of Small Earthquakes unless you’re looking for a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment