Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fly Me

Cruising Attitude
Heather Poole
Memoir

I love to travel. I’ve been traveling since I was six months old. So when I heard about this book, a memoir from a flight attendant detailing all the low down and dirty things she’s seen during her many years on the job, I knew I had to read it. And now I know I never, ever want to be a flight attendant.

Ms. Poole describes the rigorous training attendants receive and then goes into details about pilots, food and drink carts, and nasty customers. Especially nasty customers. I feel really sorry for her and all flight attendants after reading this book. People can just be awful (but I already knew that, I worked retail for awhile). She also discusses the impact being in the flying industry has on her love life and friendships. I was mostly interested in the scheduling stuff, like how she can be called on to take someone’s place for a flight to London that’s leaving in an hour! No way could I ever handle such a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants lifestyle (pardon the pun).

The only downside of this book was too many long paragraphs. I feel like I complain about that every other review, but it’s true. Even though the book was interesting, my eyes did start to glaze over on many occasion. Apparently, Ms. Poole also has a blog and her book was good enough that I think I might check it out. I never get tired of reading good travel stories.

Pick up Cruising Attitude if you love to travel or just love to read about travel. And who doesn’t?

No comments:

Post a Comment