Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rolling in the Dough

Making Piece: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and Pie
Beth M. Howard
Memoir

This book will make you hungry, I’m warning you right now. You will want pie. You will want pie badly. It will consume your thoughts every time you pick this book up. So make sure you have pie on hand before you start to read.

Making Piece is the story of Beth, who, not long after telling her husband she wants a divorce, is suddenly widowed when he abruptly dies of a heart condition. Lost in grief, she doesn’t know what to do with herself—until a friend suggests she shoot a documentary about making pies since she bakes all the time anyway. We follow her as she drives around the country filming, making pies, and eventually figuring out her place in the world. Ms. Howard even shares her best crust and apple pie recipe at the end of the book, not to mention a few other favorite recipes handed over to her by her friends.

So besides making me crave pie, was this book any good? Yes and no. I liked Ms. Howard’s writing style and really enjoyed her descriptions of pie. I didn’t enjoy the skipping-around timeline. She goes back and forth, remembering certain key moments with Marcus before jolting back to the present, and we all know how much that annoys me. And even though I did like the book, I just felt like something was missing. I wish I could put my finger on what, but I can’t. Maybe the depressing subject matter? I tried to ignore that and focus more on the baking aspect, which helped me get through.

Anyone who loves to bake and especially anyone who loves pies will like this book. It’s also quite helpful for anyone grieving the sudden loss of a spouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment