Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Our House, In the Middle of Our Street

The Summer of Us
Holly Chamberlin
Fiction

I loathe the term “chick lit”. It just sounds so degrading. I have read tons of well-plotted, interesting, wonderfully written chick lit books and it makes me sad to think a lot of readers are missing out because they pigeon-hole a certain book based on the cover and title. The Summer of Us pretty much falls into the chick lit category, but it doesn’t do much for the genre.

The Summer of Us is the story of Gincy (don’t ask), Danielle, and Clare. Three strangers who come together to rent a house for the summer (again, don’t ask). Of course, all three are dealing with family issues and romantic drama, but somehow an unlikely friendship between the three is forged.

My main problem with the about-three-women books is that it’s a pretty big gamble. Because most of the time, I’m only interested in one person’s story and the other two bore me so I skim. Which I did a lot with this book because I was only interested in one and a half. One and half, you say? Yes, and I’d explain, but it’s complicated. Also, the resolution to the one person’s story I did like was lame. So I had multiple disappointments with this book.

Holly Chamberlin is a good writer and The Summer of Us had a lot of potential. I’ve just read better and you should, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment