Thursday, June 21, 2012

Buzz Kill

Why I Love Singlehood
Elisa Lorello and Sarah Girrell
Fiction

I really need to stop picking books that involve baking. They make me want cake, cookies, and brownies so bad. Since this one was set mostly in a coffee shop, the good thing is not every single page made my mouth water. But be warned, you will want a baked good after reading certain parts.

As for the premise, well, meh. I suppose I should expand a little more on that, huh? Why I Love Singlehood is about a woman named Eva who runs a coffee shop called The Grounds. Fed up with everyone telling her she needs a boyfriend, she starts a blog extolling the virtues of being single. This part I loved. Her posts about being single and being happy to be single, I could totally relate to. But then the book got bogged down in her romantic complications and the blog subplot kind of went by the wayside. So that annoyed me. And the whole novel in general took on a familiar chick lit feel (in the cliched, annoying way, not the good way). I did like Eva, though, and rooted for her to be successful. There were also quite a few funny scenes, but by the time I reached the end, I didn’t feel anything or care what happened to these characters.

If you enjoy the details of running a coffee shop and baking with a solid dose of chick lit, this is the book for you. Otherwise, I wouldn’t bother picking it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment