Friday, June 22, 2012

Just Say Oooomm

The Science of Yoga
William J. Broad
Health

I love yoga. Don’t get me wrong, I do not belong to a yoga studio and I don’t practice every day, but once a week, I love bending and stretching and posing. It feels so good. So when I heard about this book, I knew I had to read it.

The Science of Yoga is about, of course, yoga. Mr. Broad takes a look at the good and the bad, but mostly the good since there isn’t a whole lot of bad. While the topic is very interesting, the book itself is not.

I couldn’t help feeling bored and skimming through most of it. Don’t ask me why, either, because I really was interested in the topic. Maybe all the studies Mr. Broad cited had something to do with my indifference? Much as those provide nice evidence to prove his point, a lot of the time, studies can be boring. The only part I perked up at was when he discussed the risks of yoga and certain horrific injuries people have experienced. That scared me a little and made me rethink certain poses I love doing.

If you’re into yoga and want to learn more about it, this is the book for you. But only if you really, really love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment