Saturday, May 19, 2012

This Means War

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves
Kristina McMorris
Fiction

I picked this book up because the cover was pretty. Yes, I’m shallow and yes, I will inspect the back of a book if I find the front attractive. But I have to find the plot description interesting, which I did with this. It’s always fun discovering new authors, especially when they turn out to be good.

The main plot point of Bridge of Scarlet Leaves is World War II. The three characters we come to know and love are Maddie, Lane, and TJ. Maddie and TJ are brothers, Lane is TJ’s best friend and Maddie’s secret boyfriend because he’s Japanese and she is White. They decide to elope when they realize it’s the only way their families will ever accept them. Unfortunately, the day after they get married, Pearl Harbor is bombed and World War II begins. Thus begins a nightmare for all three of them, starting and ending with the war.

I really liked this book. The details were great, the dialogue sparkled, and I ended up liking every single character (even TJ, who started out being an ass). McMorris is very detailed about the joys and sorrows of war. Some scenes were so realistic they made me feel a little sick (I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to blood and violence). My only nitpick would be the end. I know war stories almost never end happily, but I was hoping this one would. Sadly, no. But it wasn’t so bad that it changed my mind about the rest of the book (don’t you hate when that happens, when you’re enjoying a book and then you get to the end and it’s so bad it just spoils everything you fell in love with?). Bridge of Scarlet Leaves is a great read, for fiction lovers and history buffs alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment