Friday, May 18, 2012

Love & Marriage

No Cheating, No Dying
Elizabeth Weil
Memoir

I should point out that this book’s full title is No Cheating, No Dying: I Had a Good Marriage. Then I Tried to Make It Better. So hopefully that gives you a little more of an idea what it’s about.

I’m not married. I’m not even in a relationship right now. But marriage fascinates me. I would like to get married someday and I write fiction, so even though I don’t know much about marriage, in a strange way, I feel like I do since I write about it so much. And I figured this book could at least educate me a little. Maybe even give me some tips for the future.

Elizabeth Weil has been married ten years at the start of No Cheating, No Dying, and she and her husband have two children. Their marriage is good, but she wants to make it better. To do this, she signs herself and her husband up for therapy, classes, and reads all sorts of self-help books. She ends up learning a lot, both about herself and her husband.

While I liked the book, it did get a little dry at times and I found myself skimming. I suppose that’s because I couldn’t relate to a lot of it. Which is understandable. I’m sure the ideal audience for this book is married people. Well, obviously it is. But I like to broaden my mind by reading anything I think sounds interesting. By the end I’d gotten to know Elizabeth and her husband quite well and I’m glad her self-improvement streak helped them. No Cheating, No Dying is a quick read filled with tips and tricks for improving your marriage and ideas on how to approach marriage in the future if you’re not. So everyone could read this and learn something from it. And really, aren’t those the best kind of books?

No comments:

Post a Comment