Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Call Me Maybe





I’ve Got Your Number
Sophie Kinsella
Fiction

Ah, Sophie Kinsella. I first discovered her Shopaholic series years ago and I was hooked. Utterly and completely hooked on Rebecca Bloomwood and her addiction to shopping. So of course I wanted to read her new one. And…I was not impressed. It reminded me of how the first few Shopaholic books were good and then after about the fourth one, they started to go downhill. That’s what I’ve Got Your Number was like. It’s the story of a woman named Poppy who loses her phone and finds another one in the trash, picks it up and weird things start to happen. I had quite a few issues with this book, despite Kinsella’s snappy writing.

Issue #1: Footnotes. I get it, they were part of the plot and supposed to be funny, add a little extra humor to whatever Poppy was going on about. But footnotes are effing annoying. I dislike them in non-fiction books and I dislike them even more in fiction (luckily, most fiction books don’t have footnotes).

 Issue #2: Too much going on. When I first picked up the book, I thought maybe I’d grabbed the Large Print addition by accident. Nope, it really was that long. There were so many plots and plot twists that by the end I was just ready for it to be over.

Issue #3: Characters. I’m just gonna say it: Sam, the hero, was way too much like Luke, the hero in the Shopaholic series. Both businessmen, not used to sharing their feelings, cold, snappy, need a carefree woman to lighten them up. Sam was Luke 2.0, basically. And then there’s Poppy. While she was mostly sympathetic, there were also times I wanted to slap her and call her what she was, a freaking moron. For the replacement ring scheme (so stupid) to coming thisclose to marrying her committment-phobe fiancé. Good lord, she was aggravating.

So while the writing was good, I did not care much for the plot or the characters. I’d recommend this to Sophie Kinsella fans only. Everyone else will hate it and make fun of chic lit even more than they already do.

No comments:

Post a Comment