Monday, May 21, 2012

A Mile in My Shoes

Rez Life
David Treuer
Historical/Memoir

I almost gave up on this book a few times. There were so many long paragraphs. Paragraphs that seemed to go on forever. I probably thought about shoving it to the bottom of my book pile at least three times. But something deep inside made me finish. Which is weird, because I am one of those people who can easily toss a book aside if I don’t like it, no matter how deep into it I am.

A few months ago I read another book about reservation life that I quite enjoyed, which is why I wanted to read this one. Alas, the other book was most definitely a memoir while this book is part memoir, part history book. It's about an Indian and his thoughts and feelings on the Native American people of today. I wanted to like it. I did. The subject matter is fascinating. But I just got the feeling that it’s probably more fascinating if you’re Native American. If you’re not, the bulky paragraphs and long, detailed explanations of government and tribal laws becomes a bit tedious. I wanted to hear more from Indians still living on the reservations. I wanted to know their stories, their hardships, their triumphs.

Ah, well. If you’re interested in Native American history and reservation life, you’ll probably like this book. But you also must like loooong paragraphs. Okay, I’ll shut up about the paragraphs now.

No comments:

Post a Comment