Thursday, May 24, 2012

History Lesson

By the King’s Design
Christine Trent
Fiction

I like history books, I really do. Unfortunately, I just can’t seem to get into historical fiction. It’s the cynic in me. The cynic whispers when I’m reading, whispers about how there's no way Jane Austen actually said that and no way did those words come out of King George IV's mouth. Still, I pick up these historical fiction books, hoping someday I’ll discover one so good it sucks me in. Sadly, this book was not it.

By the King’s Design is about a woman named Belle who runs her family draper shop with her brother. Belle travels to London when her shop is destroyed, wants to see the Prince Regent to get him to do something about it, and somehow ends up being commissioned to design fabrics for his Royal Pavilion. Then she meets this guy she likes and finds out her brother’s into illegal activities and…I can’t fill you in on the rest because I skipped to the end.

This book bored me. There wasn’t enough romance. Too much historical stuff (and yes, I know this is a stupid statement). It’s odd how much I enjoy historical non-fiction, yet when it comes to historical fiction, I just can’t get into it. I wish I could, because Christine Trent is a good writer. Maybe if Belle had been more interesting I would’ve made it to the end. Alas, she wasn’t and I realized I could not keep forcing myself on. Also, her love interest’s name is Put. My mind would instantly go to a golf course when he entered a scene. I cannot take character's with dumb names seriously (just to be clear, his full name was Putnam, but still.)

Ms. Trent has written two other books, so if you enjoyed those, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this one. It just wasn’t my cuppa tea (another dumb statement since I don’t even like tea).

No comments:

Post a Comment