Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Paint by Numbers

The Woman Who Heard Color
Kelly Jones
Fiction

Yet another book where I liked the cover so I picked it up. Kelly Jones is a new author (to me) so I decided to give her a try. I should’ve read the back more carefully, however. Because the word “art” is mentioned quite a lot. Should’ve been my first clue I’m not the right audience for this book.

Let’s start with gripe number one. This novel uses a framing device. I hate framing devices. I prefer straight-forward story-telling. In present day, we follow Lauren, an art detective, who makes an appointment with Isabella, an older woman she believes knows more about artwork stolen by the Nazis during World War II than she’s letting on. Isabella decides to spill all to Lauren and tells her about her mother, Hanna, another art lover who could hear colors in paintings and helped the Nazis get rid of art. Except she didn’t really. Not in the way you think. It’s quite a complicated plot, actually. But, like I said, I hate framing devices. It takes me out of the story going back-and-forth like that.

Gripe number two is stupid but I’ll put it out there: too much art! I realize this is a ridiculous complaint since art is such a huge part of the book, but much as I love walking around museums and gazing up at beautiful paintings, it’s so much better to see it than hear about it. I found myself skimming a lot.

Gripe number three is a loose plot end that I was annoyed never got tied up. It made sense for the story, but it still annoyed me. Hey, I’m petty and that’s what this blog is for, to complain about the little things.

Art lovers will enjoy this book, I’m sure. As will mystery and history lovers. But if you loathe framing (ha, no pun intended, I swear) and could not care less about Van Gogh or Cezanne, leave this one on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment