Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Real Deal

You’re Not Doing It Right
Michael Ian Black
Memoir

Have you ever started reading a book, realized how hilarious and awesome it is, and then vowed to read it slower than usual because you didn’t ever want it to end? That is what happened to me with this book. I can probably count on one hand the number of times that has occurred in all of my 28 years, even though I’ve read thousands of books. My only complaint is that You’re Not Doing It Right should’ve been longer.

Michael Ian Black is a comedian who has hosted his own shows and been on several others (remember those I Love the insert decade here series?). He’s also a great writer. His humor totally translates to the page. He wrote another book (that is now on my list of must-reads) and a few children's books, too. But this one is all about his wife and kids and typical family matters. The story of how he met and fell in love with his wife is very interesting, not to mention brutally honest and laugh-out-loud funny. And the chapters about his experiences with his kids are awesome. I really don’t know what else to say except you have to read this. Of course, there’s always the chance that his humor isn’t up your alley because like I’ve mentioned before, humor is subjective, but…

Oh, hell, just read it. If you don’t love it, I’ll send you a dollar in the mail. With Michael Ian Black’s face on it.

Update: I bought this book today. That tells you how highly I think of it because believe me, I hardly ever buy books anymore (unless we're talking about cookbooks. Don't get me started on cookbooks).

No comments:

Post a Comment